[CentOS] Re: If Trying to Recover a Damaged Partition: kbs-CentOS-Extras Has a Tool

Wed Jun 21 05:01:52 UTC 2006
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

Johnny Hughes spake the following on 6/17/2006 12:52 PM:
> On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 15:13 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
>> Recently (and for ages, I'm sure) folks have suffered partition
>> destruction and had to try and recover. In the recent thread, the victim
>> eventually had to resort to Google and fond some package that I can not
>> remember now.
>>
>> Well, I was perusing my YumInfo.lst.05, for general info, and I
>> discovered this (potential) little gem. Thought I would pass it on and
>> make it "more googleable" by adding a few keywords at the end of this.
>> Here's the info summary.
>>
>> Name   : testdisk
>> Arch   : i386
>> Version: 6.3
>> Release: 1.el4.kb
>> Size   : 480 k
>> Repo   : kbs-CentOS-Extras
>>  Tool to check and undelete partition. Works with FAT12, FAT16, FAT32,
>> NTFS, EXT2, EXT3, BeFS, CramFS, HFS, JFS, Linux Raid, Linux Swap,
>> LVM, LVM2, NSS, ReiserFS, UFS, XFS
>>
>> I hope it actually "looks for file-system key stuff" instead of just
>> examining the damaged blocks (often just missing the 0x05 (?) valid
>> flag). If so, it looks "Mahvelous Dahling!" to me. We just need to get
>> some time to exercise this, create some test cases and find out how
>> really good it is. As time permits, I'll do some of that, as I'm
>> reconfig bunch of stuff all the time and have some old small disks (and
>> systems to match that I can resurrect... Windows95 from Genuine floppies
>> anybody?) and the interest. I'll add to this thread as things are
>> discovered.
>>
>> Anyone who has done this already, or has firsthand experience, can allow
>> me to continue my on-going learning of new stuff by reporting on this
>> package so I don't invest the time to evaluate this properly.
>>
>> This is just a bunch of searchable words, feel free to augment as
>> appropriate in your POV.
>>
>> MBR, master, boot, recover, restore, lost, damaged, unerase.
>
> If this tool does good stuff, post the results here and I will include
> testdisk on the CentOS-4.4 Live CD when it is built.

I have used it a time or two, and was fairly impressed. It is a useful tool
and should be in the live CD. It is on many other rescue CD's.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and