[CentOS] If Trying to Recover a Damaged Partition: kbs-CentOS-Extras Has a Tool

Tue Jun 27 18:15:58 UTC 2006
William L. Maltby <BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com>

On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 15:58 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 14:52 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 15:13 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> > > Recently (and for ages, I'm sure) folks have suffered partition
> > > destruction C<snip>

> > > Name   : testdisk
> > ><snip>

> > > <snip>

While learning more to prep meself for immunity to test fubars, saw a
phrase in sfdisk man page about not dealing well with large disks. Hmmm.
And I love sfdisk. Oh well, guess I'll look at parted, in which I never
had an interest. Found this reference, and thought I'd pass it on. I
have *not* read anything on it yet, but wanted to get it out here in
case some folks have time and interest to look at it.

Name   : gpart
Arch   : i386
Version: 0.1
Release: 1.h.2.el4.rf
Size   : 41 k
Repo   : dries
 Gpart is a small tool which tries to guess what partitions are on a PC
type harddisk in case the primary partition table was damaged.

Since the repo is dries, that means rpmforge, IIRC.

BTW, while setting up to be able set BIOS to boot from any hard drive I
desire (a sound fall-back position in my experience) so I can test with
testdisk, I had to learn a little more than the rudiments of LVM and
grub (I *told* you stuff had passed me by - I *want* my LILO!  :-).
Anyway, to do that successfully using LVM *seems* to require a change to
the initial ram disk (unless I'm missing some "jiggery-pokery" that
allows two Volume Groups on different PVs to have the same name while
I'm building # 2 and copying stuff to it?). If no one stops me by a "...
you don't need to do it that way..." posting, I'll write a short note on
it later on.
--
Bill