[CentOS] CentOS-4.4 - Some major changes on the way

Wed Jun 21 09:51:16 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 18:08 +0200, Simon J Mudd wrote:

> [snip changes]
>
> I assume from the comment that you make that these changes WILL be
> different to the versions expected to be distributed by RedHat?
>
> I currently follow CentOS because it's stable and BECAUSE it very
> closely tracks RedHat's RHEL versions.
>
> If you decide that you want to distribute newer versions of certain
> packages would it not be better to provide them separately (perhaps
> in "vendor specific" (vendor=CentOS) tree?  This means that we can
> if needed maintain compatibility with RHEL or if needed follow the
> newer versions in a controlled way.
>
> Building mozilla, firefox, thunderbird or openoffice this way ALSO
> allows standard RHEL users to use the CentOS packages if they so
> choose thus potentially gaining you more "users" and also allowing
> CentOS to provide "added value" to RHEL.

OK ... just for the record, we do have this ... so let me plug the
CentOSPlus repository.

> Distinguishing the rpms could be done by: prefixing a
> centos-packagename to the rpm name and perhaps prefixing the install
> path to a more appropriate location which could be sym linked to the
> vendor location if needed (via the alternatives system?)

We are not going to provide alternate locations, however we do provide
fully functional items in our CentOSPlus repository.  The items in
CentOSPlus are upgrades to their counterparts in the base distro (for
users who want the offered upgrades). Currently, it upgrades the Kernel
(adds xfs, reiserfs, jfs, ntfs, firewire, etc.), php-5, postfix with
mysql support, firefox and a new rdesktop.  For more info about
CentOSPlus, see this readme:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/centosplus/Readme.txt

<snip>

We also have a testing repo that contains some other items which are new
and could be upgrades to current packages.  Items in Testing will go
into either the Extras Repo or the CentOSPlus Repo ...

For information on all the CentOS repos, check here:

http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories

and here:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/Readme.txt

> I do appreciate the work being done by the CentOS developers and am
> sure that others do too, but I think that one of the reasons people
> follow CentOS is because it is a RHEL clone and expect it to behave
> as such.  Starting to diverge from that premise may not be a good
> idea.

As I said before, we would never, EVER, diverge from the base upstream
packages except as it has to do with trademark removal or subscription
services to provide updates ... except as we do in CentOSPlus
repository, where you make a conscious choice to upgrade certain
packages.