[CentOS] How do you set the refresh frequency for the X server?

Mon Jun 26 15:36:26 UTC 2006
William L. Maltby <BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com>

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 11:08 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 10:40 -0400, Alfred von Campe wrote:
> > Bill:
> >
> > > Here is some information I have used as background.
> > >
> > >     http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net/fbdev/HOWTO/3.html
> >
> > <snip>
>
> >  However, when I set that to 60 (instead of the monitor's 56.0
> > - 85.0 range), the problem didn't go away.  I probably also have to
> > adjust the HorizSync entry, but I don't know to what exactly.
>
> Using that HOWTO, I've been sporadically working on a script to generate
> the params, but haven't quite finished it. So I'm no further help ATM.
> If/when I get back to it and get something workable, I'll post. By
> playing with the params mentioned in that doc in the fixed frequency
> portion, I have managed to set various ranges, image move left/right,
> gets chopped, etc. I'll power up that machine and take a look and see if
> anything that looks like it might b e useful jumps out at me.
>
> But I really think the postings on LFS or by Brian will be most useful,
> or postings somewhere else on the WEB.

As I remembered, the only complete and usable one is for vga frame
buffer setup and only for a test resolution, not what you are hunting
for. I can't say if it is good for many combos of video dot clocks and
monitor constraints.

--
Bill