[CentOS] Re: How Undo Yum Upgrade

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sat Mar 4 12:48:28 UTC 2006

John Thomas wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
>> for the time being, i'd suggest you also look at the output of 'rpm
>> -qa --last' very carefully.
> Attached is rpm -qa --last .  In case it is helpful, I sorted that
> output and compared it to the yum.log to see the differences.

no, you really dont want to sort the output of rpm --last, the aim if
having it in that order is that you can then work back from the most
recent change and go back in time to the last known good state. ( the
date/time stamp is important - to me anyway )

>> and the rpm --oldpackage option might come in handy - you should not
>> need to uninstall anything, just move the pkgs to be installed into a
>> new directory and then use something like 'rpm --oldpackage -uvh *.rpm'
>
> This would be great.  I hope you are right.  My concern is the packages
> include python, yum, and rpm.

so, make sure you are never without a rpm + python and yum pkg. this is
where the --oldpackage comes in handy, you can use this to do a bunch of
pkgs at one time.