[CentOS] Do i have to open port 631 for LAN printing

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Mar 4 15:14:37 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 09:51 -0500, lnthai2002 at aim.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a Samsung printer(ML-2010) connect to my centos 4.2 machine by
> usb. I want to share this printer with 3 windowsXP mchines in my LAN.
> Although i have install driver for the printer on all machines, use
> samba to share the printer, from the windows machine i still have an
> error"access denied, can not connect to printer" or something similar.
> In Security Level, i have checked "trusted device: eth0, sit0" , is
> port 631 automatically open? How do i know that my problem is not
> caused by the blocked port? Hope anyone can help
windows doesn't use cups port

error message of 'access denied' doesn't necessarily mean that Windows
users can't print to it (that's very confusing, I know) but that
certainly means that the users can't "manage" the printer.

in samba printer share, there is an option for 'printer admin' which if
the user/group is appropriate, will allow the user/group to 'manage' the
printer, which is generally where the 'access denied' message comes from
in a samba shared printer when looking at the 'status' from Windows
'Printers & Faxes'

Generally, I would expect the problem that you are having is that you
are using 'client side' drivers and by default, cups (via samba) is
offering a postscript printer.

I don't know what the specifics of a Samsung ML-2010 are but it would
seem that you have 2 options...

1 - set the printer up in windows as a postscript printer, preferably
using the Adobe Postscript print driver and the ppd that was created by
cups on the CentOS system when you created the printer (located
in /etc/cups/ppd)

2 - set the printer options within cups to allow 'raw' printing - which
allows your samba shared non-postscript printer commands to pass through
'unmolested' to the printer (see /etc/cups/mime.types
& /etc/cups/mime.convs)

All of this is summarized in the official Samba 3 HowTo...

and things are starting to gel at the new samba wiki

for which printing support is here...

and I mention the wiki because I was drafted and am the editor of the
wiki ;-)