[CentOS] Moving files to new server

lnthai2002 at aim.com lnthai2002 at aim.com
Sun Mar 5 14:51:36 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas E Dukes <edukes at alltel.net>
To: CentOS <centos at centos.org>
Sent: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 09:34:37 -0500
Subject: [CentOS] Moving files to new server

I am getting a new computer and am going to need to move the files from
old to the new.  What is the best way to do this?

Should I install CentOS from scratch on the new computer then move the
directories I need?  How do I maintain permissions if this is the best

If you install centos on the new comp, create users on the new comp
with the same user name and user ID as on the old one(you can refer to
/etc/passwd for UID).
Plug the HDD of the new comp to the old linux machine
Create a folder, say "NewHDD" in /mnt
Mount the new HDD partition (where you want your data to be copied to)
to /mnt/NewHDD
Use the cp command as root with --preserve[=ATTR_LIST] option to copy
the files from their old(old HDD) location to new location(on the new
HDD). Refer to man cp for more info about cp options.
Hope it help