[CentOS] Moving files to new server

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Mon Mar 6 23:20:23 UTC 2006

Benjamin Smith wrote:
> I keep a file called "Migration Script" for each server. It's a list of
> everything I had to install to operate everything on the server. Any time I
> have to install or change the config on the server, I update this file as
> well. Every 2 years or so, when I'm getting ready to set up a new server, I
> review this file as I build a new system.

I do this too.   I keep a detailed log of anything "special" I had to do
at install time.  Then, as time goes by, anything that's done over and
above a "yum update" gets an entry as well.  These files are invaluable
when (inevitably years later) you need to update/move/recover the
machine in a "forced march" scenario.  Fortunately, these days I've got
some whippersnappers to do most of this for me, but when I occasionally
get stuck fixing something due to someone being out on holiday or sick,
these things are life savers.  Highly recommended practice!!!  8-)

Cheers,