[CentOS] How to test RAID-5

Fajar Priyanto fajarpri at cbn.net.id
Thu Mar 9 10:54:59 UTC 2006

On Thursday 09 March 2006 05:07 pm, Simone wrote:
> Hi, once you remove sda, you need to setup grub on sdb to get it
> working. Just boot from the CentOS cd1 into linux rescue mode, and it
> should autodetect your system and mount it under /mnt/sysimage.
> Once you're in,
> chroot /mnt/sysimage
> /sbin/grub --> you get a prompt grub>
> In my case I read in my grub.conf:
> title CentOS (2.6.9-
>         root (hd0,0)
> so at the grub> prompt I would type
> grub> root (hd0,0)
> grub> setup (hd0)
> grub> quit
> You can then exit, reboot and your system should be up and running.
> Hope this helps

Thanks Simone,
It works now. Anyway, can you give me an insight how RAID-5 works in
preventing the loss of data?

I'm testing it by copying a large file (20MB) into /root, and when I unplugged
a drive, it seems that the data is still Ok. How does RAID-5 do this?

Thank you,
17:54:57 up 9:19, 2.6.15-1.1830_FC4 GNU/Linux