[CentOS] Centosplus & CentOS Extras, Enlarge your tent

Sanjay Arora sanjay.k.arora at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 18:00:37 UTC 2006

On 3/12/06, Jeff Kinz <jkinz at kinz.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 10:09:07PM +0530, Sanjay Arora wrote:
> > What I'd like to see in Centosplus is a rpm of Xen, that is stable and
> > pre-tested with Centos and seamlessly changes the Centos
> > Server/Workstation.
> Yes, this would be really nice.
>

> A Centos-Enterprise oriented wiki is a great idea.  We need a place
> to host it. Does Centos.org have the resources to add this to their
> site?  (= extra storage, Bandwidth, time to install and administer
> or willingness to let others on their server to do same?)
>
> Its a lot too ask, but if Centos.org is willing, then great.
>
> Donovan, what do you think?
>
> Or are there any other community members who could host a wiki?
>
> It doesn't have to be a wiki per se. Any mechanism that allows
> contributors to add pages to a web site (even via email) would be
> a useful tool.  Static html is fine (and may even be best.)
>
> > In the enterprise, there's always a repungence to trying something
> > untested or rather on your own, especially like less experienced
> > users, especially those with shoe-string budget. The reassurance of
> > walking on a well-trodden path with road-signs given to you, is a
> > great plus in deciding to do something with Centos.

> > milage may vary! I think Centos community leaders should look a little
> > in this issue & debate and then maybe implement something around these
> > lines. Enablement of Enterprise Applications around the stable Centos
> > Core shuld be the path ahead.
>
> I would guess the Centos leaders already have full plates just keeping the
> Centos distribution going.  Perhaps we community members need to step up
> to the plate to create this.
>
> I can volunteer some time to install and administer a wiki.
> Mediawiki is a very powerful wiki system.  Its the one Wikipedia uses
> but its slow and very resource intensive.  If we have to run a wiki
> we should run one that is lighter.
>
> > Just my two rupees worth ;-) I belong to India, so can't give in US cents ;-)
>
> I'll take it! 2 INR for  $0.02 USD is a great exchange rate.  :-)

;-)) Yeh...u'll get a lot for that dollar!
Thanks Jeff

BTW, Centos already has forums at http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/index.php
 however, its QA oriented normal Wiki, with high noise ratio and is
not much different from a mailing list except in its presentation.

What I envisage is having a section on How-to, further subsections
like RDBMS, ODBMS, CMS, Groupware, Helpdesk, Email, Backup, somehow
the "first post moderated" by someone from a group of people very
experienced in CentOS (purpose each How-to allowed to be posted as a
thread to be a complete how-to on deploying maintaining one RDBMS, if
RDBMS section & so on, with detailed instructions & links for further
research).

Just imagine, I am looking for a CMS, I visit the forum & find neatly
laid in 5 threads, 5 different CMS under the CMS Howto Section, a
howto, followup comments, problem areas, scripts, experiences & so on.

Incomplete Articles not to be allowed by moderator. Allowed articles
may/may not have comments added in a follow-up, by the moderator team,
maybe showing some enhancements that can be done.

Rest of posts to the thread can be by the community, people who have
tried following howto, success reports, comments, QA and mabe even
scripts built using the How-to. These need not be moderated.

A small script may be written which may create an index page of all
howtos from the subject lines or something.

With regards.
Sanjay.