[CentOS] Postfix + MySQL + IMAP + Squirrelmail + Virtual Domains + Web Management.

Fri Mar 17 20:08:18 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 13:01 -0600, Brent DiNicola wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have long read and followed this list. I have also spent a
> considerable time with our good friend Google.
>
> I am a long time Sendmail user, about 15 yrs now. I have recently been
> looking into the newer services and the Postfix setup seems to be a very
> nice one. I am migrating a mail server from 3.x to 4.x and was intending
> on trying out Postfix on the 4.x server. I have found /alot/ of HowTo's
> covering various Postfix implementations. I have tried a few of these to
> various stages, some completely, some partially. I have not however
> found one that would take a CentOS 4.x system from Sendmail to Postfix
> completely. I can get Postfix to work. I can get MySQL to work with in
> some cases Cyrus and Courier for the IMAP services. I can get some
> Virtual Domain working but not completely. I can't however get it to
> actually work all together. I have a bit of ignorance with Cyrus/Courier
> IMAP as I have previously just had a simple Squirrelmail to Sendmail
> with stock IMAP services and all my users previously were real UNIX
> accounts, which I am trying to not require now.
>
> Does anyone have a real HowTO that goes from a stock 4.x load to Postfix
> etc.? I have follow Hughes HOWTO but it also skips the Courier/Cyrus
> part. I have gotten it all working except it doesn't make any MailDirs
> so then Squirrelmail freaks with Invalid Mailbox errors.

My How-to doesn't cover Courier because it has it's own special mailbox
format and does not use normal Linux users.  Dovecot does use normal
Linux users and the standard maildir format.

>  It's quite
> frustrating to me because most of the HowTO's skip steps, like getting
> users into the SQL (which I have figured out a few times). It would be
> nice to have a real HOWTO that does /all/ the steps from stock to this
> configuration.

My solution specifically is not a mysql / courier solution.  It is a
Dovecot / IMAP / SquirrelMail w/o virtual domains.