[CentOS] Forced upgrade to 4.3 ?

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 23:43:31 UTC 2006

> Is there a way to not go to 4.3, or should I just go on and load it?  I have
> a few packages I loaded from source, all related to my mail system (dcc,
> razor, amavisd-new, spamassassin).  I'm worried about the 4.3 update hosing
> those.

4.3 contains several updates, and is (for lack of a better analogy) a
quarterly service pack for centos 4. If you fear for production
systems, set up a local repo or test on development box.  As to things
you've installed from source.. it depends on HOW you installed them,
and it's something that any update, regardless of minor version
changes can interfere with. For instance, today the sendmail update
came out and is not part of "THE 4.3" update. If you were already on
4.3 and had installed your own sendmail, it's entirely possible that
this update could wreck your day.

You should consider providing more detail about how you installed from
source, as well as why you didn't use or rebuild an rpm, or use the
exclude feature in yum to prevent your own custom packages from
potentially being overwritten.

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety''
Benjamin Franklin 1775