[CentOS] dovecot vs Cyrus-Imapd

Jure Pečar pegasus at nerv.eu.org
Mon Mar 27 20:23:32 UTC 2006

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:29:48 +0400
jean-sebastien Hubert <security at air-austral.com> wrote:

> Craig White wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 17:14 -0600, Bob Pierce wrote:
> >

> >personally, I would use cyrus - in fact, on that scale, I think you
> >would be making a mistake not to use cyrus or courier.
> >
> >I would also use LDAP and not mysql as LDAP scales to multiple systems
> >in case you actually try to do more sophisticated things such as
> >multiple data stores on different systems and integrating into CentOS
> >for things like Postfix is simple whereas you are going to have to get
> >or do a rebuild to make it work with MySQL.

I have a cyrus setup with 300k accounts and I dumped ldap for mysql because it's performance and reliability were just horrible. But that was four years ago :)

> I agree too,
> And sometimes, MySQL "hang" because the number of simultaneous
> connexions is limited (you can increase them but for 10000 accounts you
> will have some problems).

Never expirienced that and it's doing 2k queries per second 24/7 for the last four years.

> And last thing: a server with high performances in read/write ... We
> install cyrus-imap on  a Proliant without  write cache (you need
> a battery to activate it):
> big mistake !

Yup, an old dual p3 box is bored while serving those 300k accounts ... fast i/o is everything when doing mail serving. That either means plenty (50+) 15k rpm disks in jbod/raid10 or a big (as much as possible) battery-backed write cache. Figure out what is cheaper for you.

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org/