[CentOS] dovecot vs Cyrus-Imapd

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Mar 29 13:27:07 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 22:23 +0200, Jure Pečar wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:29:48 +0400
> jean-sebastien Hubert <security at air-austral.com> wrote:
>
> > Craig White wrote:
> >
> > >On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 17:14 -0600, Bob Pierce wrote:
> > >

> > >personally, I would use cyrus - in fact, on that scale, I think you
> > >would be making a mistake not to use cyrus or courier.
> > >
> > >I would also use LDAP and not mysql as LDAP scales to multiple systems
> > >in case you actually try to do more sophisticated things such as
> > >multiple data stores on different systems and integrating into CentOS
> > >for things like Postfix is simple whereas you are going to have to get
> > >or do a rebuild to make it work with MySQL.
>
> I have a cyrus setup with 300k accounts and I dumped ldap for mysql because it's performance and reliability were just horrible. But that was four years ago :)
----
Any db is only as effective as the administrator and the the design of
the system permits. It's likely that your skills with mysql are well
honed and your skills with LDAP were lacking. LDAP is a decidedly
different beast than an sql db.

Performance issues can usually be fixed...scalability issues cannot be
fixed if the system doesn't permit. Replication of an LDAP system is
easily accomplished, clearly not the case for mysql.

Craig