SELinux Problems (Was: [CentOS] Forum Decorum: a reminder seems appropriate.)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Mar 30 05:34:56 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 01:00 -0300, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 08:47:16PM -0700, Craig White wrote:

> > > fixfiles relabel
> > ----
> > that might be the mallet when all it needs is a little tap.
>
> Not in my case. I mean, even /bin/bash was with wrong contexts until
> a few days ago. And /etc/passwd :)
>
> > that also requires a reboot doesn't it?
>
> Not likely. I mean, yes, it would be recomended, but I'm pretty good
> as changing things without needing to reboot, and I'm daring enough to
> do it :) After all, it is not like this is an important machine. It is
> just my company main internet server :)
----
It sort of occurs to me that breaking the security contexts of things
like /etc/passwd and /bin/bash (/bin/sh) suggests to me that a much
larger problem exists.

fixfiles relabel is a time consuming process (perhaps not a big deal)
but can change things that were specifically labeled other than the
default setting, creating new issues.

# rpm -q --whatprovides /etc/passwd
setup-2.5.44-1.1
(my FC-4 system)
# fixfiles -R setup restore

[root at lin-workstation activeldap]# rpm -q --whatprovides /bin/bash
bash-3.0-31
(again my FC-4 system)
# fixfiles -R bash restore

Craig