[CentOS] howto mark bad block with fsck?

Wed Mar 8 06:55:53 UTC 2006
Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com>

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 21:29, ijez wrote:
> Yes, I'm on the way to do that.. but I need to make sure it up at least for
the weeks so I could have a time to rebuild the new one and restore the
current backup.. currently, after a couple of hour or sometimes a day, the
hdd was remount read-only automagicaly and the only solutions I do is reboot
the server so it was properly mount read-write.. this will last for hours or
day only, then I need to reboot again..

If you value your time AT ALL, you will get another HDD that's bigger than
what's installed. You'll move to the new HDD following instructions that are
widely available.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=linux+hard+drive+upgrade+howto+&btnG=Search

Then, you'll throw away that old HDD before it kills you or your client base.
A bad HDD is just not worth it. I generally have 5-10 used HDDs laying
around, to be used for whatever. But saving data is a higher purpose than any
other in a computer - and if that's questionable, the entire computer loses
its value almost immediately.

I never hang onto a questionable drive.

NEVER.

-Ben