[CentOS] Network card w/special module

Mon Mar 13 04:08:48 UTC 2006
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On 3/12/06, Eduardo Grosclaude <eduardo.grosclaude at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I have this cheap network card which insists on me compiling its own
> sundance.ko module every time I update my kernel release. I had the poor
> idea to leave nightly yum service enabled on this remote server, only to
> find my network was gone at the following reboot. Had to go there, figure
> out that kernel stuff is carefully avoided by up2date, but not so by yum
> service, and rebuild.
>  Compiling and installing is just a matter of some simple commands, and in
> the meantime I have disabled yum service. But I was wondering if there is
> already some provision to automate building kernel version dependent
> modules, or whatever. Should I hook on yum?
>  Thank you in advance!

Kernel modules are an interesting yum dilemma. I'd recommend just
putting exclude=kernel* in your repo file if you're going to run the
nightly updates. And then update the kernel and your driver on your
own schedule after the announcement of an update.

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety''
Benjamin Franklin 1775