[CentOS] Re: Mirror Mirror on the wall, who is the slowest of them all? CentOS

Sun Mar 19 15:48:07 UTC 2006
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

Johnny Hughes spake the following on 3/18/2006 6:11 AM:
> On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 05:45 -0800, Jim Smith wrote:
>> Some of the other RHEL rebuilds take one or two days, while CentOS
>> takes
>> 2 weeks. While i can't say if they have more than a hundred users,
>> their
>> speed in releasing quarterly updates is commendable.
>>
>> Technically CentOS is not the slowest, as Whitebox takes the wooden
>> spoon but you get the general idea. :)
>>

> Mr. Smith,
>
> 1.  If you can show me a FREE rebuild project that has released update 3
> respun ISOs ... I would like to see it.
>
> 2.  Maybe you should either start your own rebuild project ... or use
> one of these other, much superior products.
>
> 3.  We don't just rebuild the SRPMS ... we rebuild them ... install and
> test them ... QA them ... fix issues with them if it doesn't work ...
> respin it again ... provide support for 3 arches that the upstream
> provider doesn't even support ...
>
> But I digress ... back to making a quality distro

I came here from the slowest one, and I am not looking back. Like you say, if
a distro isn't doing what you want, find one that will. I don't want to put
down Whitebox either. They built it for their own use, and released it to the
public, so it will always follow the release cycle that they want. There are
sooo many distros out there that it is harder to pick than to move.