[CentOS] Safety

Mon Mar 20 22:58:48 UTC 2006
Maciej Żenczykowski <maze at cela.pl>

Hi,

I'm pretty sure that U3 will have the same kernel.  As such it would
probably be best to fix this now, instead of waiting for U3 to come out.
Could you tell us when the kernel panic happens?  Processor? i586?
i686? architecture? single? multiprocessor? ... etc ... any options with
which it works (like noacpi & others).

Cheers,
MaZe.

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Gilles CHAUVIN wrote:

> Just because there are some unlucky people here, the first and only
time when I had a problem with remote updating was recently with the
2.6.9-34 kernel. After I rebooted my server it never came back online
and showed me a quite nice "kernel panic". I had to boot from the
previous kernel to see my server back online.

That's the first time I encounter such a problem and it is very
annoying (especially because I wanted to "play" with smartd with SATA
support and also because I don't like running not up to date servers).

Maybe filling a bugreport would be a good idea but I prefer to wait
for the U3 to see if it fixes the bug or not.

Do you think it is safe to file a bug on RH's bugzilla ? Since CentOS
is binary compatible with RHEL I assume I would have the same problem
with a RHEL4 but, unfortunately, I cannot do any tests for confirming
or not the problem with that distro :(.

Gilles.