[CentOS] Safety

Mon Mar 20 23:12:06 UTC 2006
Gilles CHAUVIN <gcnweb at gmail.com>

On 3/20/06, Maciej Żenczykowski <maze at cela.pl> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that U3 will have the same kernel.  As such it would
> probably be best to fix this now, instead of waiting for U3 to come out.
> Could you tell us when the kernel panic happens?  Processor? i586?
> i686? architecture? single? multiprocessor? ... etc ... any options with
> which it works (like noacpi & others).

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 4
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 2799.397
cache size      : 1024 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pni
monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr
bogomips        : 5521.40

$ sudo cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
Password:
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VG00/root
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda1
default=1
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.9-34.EL)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-34.EL ro root=/dev/VG00/root
        initrd /initrd-2.6.9-34.EL.img
title CentOS (2.6.9-22.0.2.EL)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-22.0.2.EL ro root=/dev/VG00/root
        initrd /initrd-2.6.9-22.0.2.EL.img

For now, I'm running the -22.0.2 kernel since this is the last kernel
known to work on that hardware. I upgraded 5 PCs. 3 of them have the
exact same hardware and the exact same failure (kernel panic).

One of those server isn't in production yet so it would be possible to
do some testing. The above informations were gathered from a remote
SSH session. I cannot give more details for now and I won't be able to
tell more about that problem until next wednesday.

Gilles.