[CentOS] Re: lphdisk and kickstart partitioning - laptop install

Tue Mar 21 17:59:38 UTC 2006
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

Robert Moskowitz spake the following on 3/21/2006 7:29 AM:
> At 10:43 PM 3/20/2006, Matt Hyclak wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 08:40:26PM -0600, Robert Moskowitz enlightened
>> us:
>> > So I want the suspend to disk option.
>> >
>> > I have found lphdisk http://www.procyon.com/~pda/lphdisk/
>> >
>> > It says to create a primary partition of type a0
>> >
>> > How do I do this in kickstart?  Will it let me do a type?
>> >

>> > part /??? --fstype a0 --size 1058
>> >
>> > size is 1024 + 32 + 2
>> >
>> > What do I put in for the mount point?
>> >
>> > Where do I go for help?  I have exhausted google...
>>
>> I would suggest reading the documentation about kickstart, not just
>> guessing.
>> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-kickstart2-options.html
>>

> I have spent hours reading this and trying to read 'between the lines'
> already, before I asked here...
>
>> You'll notice the listing of valid fstype options, none of which are a0.
>
> yes.  that is why I turned to asking.
>
>> I would recommend looking to %pre or %post sections to format the right
>> partition type for you with the native tools.
>
> Fine. I am even willing to run it completely after the install.  But
> what do I do for creating the partition?   Do I just do a dummy mount
> point like /suspend  ?  An fstype of ext3?  And how do I specify a
> primary partition (and do primaries have to come before ext3
> partitions?  Have not found text on this.)
>
> And then use some other tool ????  that will remove the mount point and
> change the fstype to a0 before running lphdisk?
>
> Or do I leave part of the disk not in a partition and use some other
> tool to prepare the partition for lphdisk?

You could make a dummy partition the right size during the install, and not
assign it to a mount point. Then after it boots, you could use fdisk to change
the partition type. I would not format the partition, but it shouldn't hurt if
you have to, and the partition used to need to be the first, or at least a
primary partition. The best option would be to find a rescue disk with this
utility on it, and use it first to create and format the partition. Then
during the install, choose the option to use free space to install.
BG-Rescue Disk has it;
http://omnibus.uni-freiburg.de/~giannone/rescue/current/
and so does RIP;
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/looplinux/rip/