[CentOS] Re: lphdisk and kickstart partitioning - laptop install

Tue Mar 21 19:33:40 UTC 2006

At 11:59 AM 3/21/2006, Scott Silva wrote:
>Robert Moskowitz spake the following on 3/21/2006 7:29 AM:
> > At 10:43 PM 3/20/2006, Matt Hyclak wrote:
> >> On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 08:40:26PM -0600, Robert Moskowitz enlightened
> >> us:

> >> I would suggest reading the documentation about kickstart, not just
> >> guessing.
> >>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-kickstart2-options.html
> >>

> > I have spent hours reading this and trying to read 'between the lines'
> > already, before I asked here...
> >
> >> You'll notice the listing of valid fstype options, none of which are a0.
> >
> > yes.  that is why I turned to asking.
> >
> >> I would recommend looking to %pre or %post sections to format the right
> >> partition type for you with the native tools.
> >
> > Fine. I am even willing to run it completely after the install.  But
> > what do I do for creating the partition?   Do I just do a dummy mount
> > point like /suspend  ?  An fstype of ext3?  And how do I specify a
> > primary partition (and do primaries have to come before ext3
> > partitions?  Have not found text on this.)
> >
> > And then use some other tool ????  that will remove the mount point and
> > change the fstype to a0 before running lphdisk?
> >
> > Or do I leave part of the disk not in a partition and use some other
> > tool to prepare the partition for lphdisk?
> >

>You could make a dummy partition the right size during the install, and not
>assign it to a mount point.

I could not find out if mount point was optional.  Now I know.

>  Then after it boots, you could use fdisk to change
>the partition type. I would not format the partition, but it shouldn't hurt if
>you have to,

I see the noformat option for part.

>  and the partition used to need to be the first, or at least a
>primary partition.

Doesn't the boot partition need to be first?  Then the suspend would
come after it?  Followed by the LVM then swap partitions.

>The best option would be to find a rescue disk with this
>utility on it, and use it first to create and format the partition. Then
>during the install, choose the option to use free space to install.
>BG-Rescue Disk has it;
>http://omnibus.uni-freiburg.de/~giannone/rescue/current/
>and so does RIP;
>http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/looplinux/rip/

thanks. I forgot to bring blank CDs with me.  But it has been pointed
out that my Centos boot CD has something worth using.

"Two percent of the people think;
three percent of the people think they think;
and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think."

George Bernard Shaw