[CentOS] Possible to cause Yum to "reload" packages a second time?

Adam Gibson agibson at ptm.com
Tue May 2 20:04:32 UTC 2006

Barry L. Kline wrote:
> I wrote in a thread entitled "ip_conntrack_ftp fails to load on
> CentOS4.3" that I had what I considered to be a borked upgrade, using
> yum update.  When I went from 4.2 -> 4.3 I ceased to be able to use the
> ip_conntrack_ftp module, thus cutting off my users from ftp access.
>
> What I'd like to do is get yum to rerun its update procedure, which
> should allow any post processing that failed to complete properly to do
> so.  I'm hoping that will add whatever missing piece is causing me the
> grief.

I haven't found anything to do that.

This wont help you now but I ran across this problem a few times over
the years with Fedora, RedHat, and the latest time on CentOS installing
a fresh copy of 4.2 and then just doing an update a few months ago.

My solution was to create a script that did a 'yum check-update', parse
the output, and then automatically do a yum update for each package one
by one that was listed.  This made sure that if an update failed after
installing but before the cleanup stage it would only affect the one
package that was being updated(and its dependencies of course).  Doing
things one by one like this I have never experienced the fail before
cleanup problem again though.

The script is not very advanced so it would try to update packages that
might have already been updated by dependencies earlier during the
script run-time but it just ignores any responses that said a package
was already installed(or nothing to do).  I had to run it 2 or 3 times
for it to upgrade all the packages but eventually there were no more
packages to update and I did not experience any problems.  This was
after repeating the failure after 2 formats.

I wish yum had an option to do this.  I would call it
--cleanup-after-each-package :).

Any time I do a update that will pull in a bunch of packages(like an
upgrade) I use the script.