[CentOS] Suggestions on initial CentOS 4.3 Install packages

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Tue May 2 21:27:25 UTC 2006

You can beat web forums until your face becomes blue from bruising. It's a
valid way to go, but painful.

My advice?

1) Stop using your Windows machine, (dual) boot into Linux and work in it
natively for at least a year. Once the flavor of Unix seeps under your skin,
you'll discover the limitations of both Windows and Linux. EG: Gaming sucks
under Linux, server hosting and software programming are both lame on
Windows.

2) Get a good "getting started" book. $40 at the local B & N can save you
days/weeks of frustration, and is very cheap education. I'd suggest "Red Hat
Linux Unleashed" by Que. If that's too far along, try a "for dummies" book.
There's plenty more advanced as well.

3) Realize, that most of using *nix systems come down to not knowing it all,
but knowing where to go to figure it out. Get good and familiar with man,
info, and google!

-Ben

- XEROX PARC slogan, circa 1978