[CentOS] Anaconda allows x86_64 CD/DVD to be used to install i386 system

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed May 3 13:05:52 UTC 2006

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

> Let say the tree on my install server looks like this:
>
> /centos/os/i386
> /centos/os/x86_64
>

> If I use x86_64 media to boot, but by mistake in ks.cfg file I had
> something like:
>
> url http://installsrv/centos/os/i386
>
> Anaconda will happily install from i386 tree.

no it wont. try it, really.

at buildtime a timestamp and a session stamp are inserted into both ends
of the side for a network install. unless they match - you cant install
anything. you cant even use a boot.iso from a different build cycle
against a different tree, even in the same arch...

so, umm.. how did you achieve this :)