[CentOS] PHP5 questions

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Sat May 13 23:12:28 UTC 2006

On Saturday 13 May 2006 18:31, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> If I install PHP5 from centosplus it will replace PHP4, is this correct?
> Or is there a way to have it installed in parallel? I know I can't run
> both modules at the same time, but I'd prefer having them installed in
> parallel, so I can switch back/between easier.
>
> When I try updating I get a dependency warning from php-eaccelerator (from
> dag repo) - can I ignore that? Searching thru my list archive I find it
> mentioned several times that eaccelerator works with PHP5, but it's not
> clear if and what package.
There are quite a few people out there that package php in one form or another
but I'm not aware of anyone who does php4 and 5 at the same time.

It is however pretty easy to do that yourself. Just compile from source, make
install and then create a config file. Make sure your extensions don't
conflict (i.e. php4 for all php4 files and leave php5 with the standard .php
extension)...

If this is development you can also simply switch back and forth between the
two. That's what I do - wrote a simple script that takes 4 or 5 as parameter
and then uninstalls php, installs the apropriate rpms from a directory on my
local box and then puts the config file in place. Takes about 15 seconds and
works well enough for me.

Peter.