[CentOS] Which libtiff 3.8.2 do I grab?

Fri May 26 19:27:12 UTC 2006
Dan Trainor <dan.trainor at gmail.com>

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> At 02:35 PM 5/26/2006, Dan Trainor wrote:
>
>> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Via google:  libtiff 3.8.2
>>> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/2839214/com/libtiff-3.8.2-2.x86_64.rpm.html
>>>
>>> This got me to a page all about libtiff 3.8.2 for 'Fedora other'  and
>>> a link
>>> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=3&search=libtiff&srodzaj=3
>>> for other distributions.
>>> So which do I take?
>>> ?
>>> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/2845370/com/libtiff-3.8.2-2.i386.rpm.html
>>>
>>> please, I really want to get this going!
>>

>> Hi -
>>
>> I do not believe that libtiff 3.8.2 is available for CentOS - only
>> 3.6.1-8 and 3.6.1-10.
>>
>> Remember, the goal of the CentOS project is not to provide bleeding
>> edge software, so you may well get stuck with a slightly older version.
>

> So the Asterisk AT Home gang that have built on Centos may have a real
> problem with spandsp.

Hi, RObert -

Well, no - not necessarily.  Remember, we try to keep as close to RHEL
as we can.  In fact, I don't know of anything that's actually modified
to be special for CentOS, aside from the usual.

The *@home guys probably built their own RPMs or installs for their
setup.  Even though it's based on CentOS, doesn't mean it has to BE
CentOS - it could be a heavily modified version, including additional
libraries which are mroe bleeding edge, e.g. libtiff-3.8.2.

Hope that clears some thigns up for you.

Thanks
-dant