[CentOS] Which libtiff 3.8.2 do I grab?

Fri May 26 19:41:43 UTC 2006

At 03:27 PM 5/26/2006, Dan Trainor wrote:
>Robert Moskowitz wrote:

>>>Hi -
>>>
>>>I do not believe that libtiff 3.8.2 is available for CentOS - only
>>>3.6.1-8 and 3.6.1-10.
>>>
>>>Remember, the goal of the CentOS project is not to provide
>>>bleeding edge software, so you may well get stuck with a slightly
>>>older version.
>>
>>So the Asterisk AT Home gang that have built on Centos may have a
>>real problem with spandsp.
>
>Hi, RObert -
>
>Well, no - not necessarily.  Remember, we try to keep as close to
>RHEL as we can.  In fact, I don't know of anything that's actually
>modified to be special for CentOS, aside from the usual.
>
>The *@home guys probably built their own RPMs or installs for their
>setup.  Even though it's based on CentOS, doesn't mean it has to BE
>CentOS - it could be a heavily modified version, including
>additional libraries which are mroe bleeding edge, e.g. libtiff-3.8.2.
>
>Hope that clears some thigns up for you.

I know the Centos philosophy.  I have a number of Centos servers here
and building more.  My mail server is Scalix running on Centos.

The AAH people (actually one person according to the sourceforge
page) has done a great you adding the best Asterisk products on top
of Centos.  The libtiff-3.6.1-10 is from Centos 4.3.  Sometime back
Centos had libtiff 3.6.0 which the spandsp author said works well and
that 3.6.1 is broken.

So those of us doing a new install are finding out that faxing is not
working.  So I (and many others) have to replace libtiff with either
the older working version or 3.8.2.  And when AAH 2.9 comes out with
finally an update mechanism (instead of a reinstall), hopefully the
right libtiff will be in the AAH iso.