[CentOS] Re: CentOS 4 and laptop and wifi works

Sat May 27 13:39:42 UTC 2006
Tom Diehl <tdiehl at rogueind.com>

On Thu, 25 May 2006, Max H. wrote:

> Tom Diehl wrote:
> >
> > Have you succeeded in getting wpa encryption working with the Atheros/madwifi
> > drivers??
> >
> > My madwifi card works just fine with no encryption but I cannot get it to
> > work with the wpa encryption turned on.
>
> That I have not yet tried. I use just normal WEP encryption and it's
> always worked fine. I know WEP isn't super secure, but if I have
> anything I don't want broadcasting I simply use a wire. There aren't any
> other wireless networks in my neighborhood, so I haven't really care to
> try it.
>
> ATrpms has two different wpa_supplicant RPMs, but I don't know enough
> about WPA to say whether or not I'm on target with pointing you to this.
>  From the small changelog at the bottom of these links say "added
> madwifi support," so I'm assuming it's supposed to work.
>
> <http://atrpms.net/dist/el4/wpa_supplicant/>
> <http://atrpms.net/dist/el4/wpa_supplicant-eap-fast/>

As a followup to this I got madwifi and wpa_supplicant working last night.
Whoooooooo!!

I used 0.9.0 driver from the madwifi site. I could not even get the drivers
from atrpms to bring the interface up. I must have missed something. Anyway,
I figured since the drivers on the madwifi site were newer I would go that way.

I used a specfile that I got off of the old madwifi site to build a set of rpms.
It is not real pretty but it worked.

The box has been up for pver 8 hours with no disconnects from the network. In
fact I am writing this message over the wireless network. :-)

For those interested here is the output of lspci -vv:
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
        Subsystem: PROXIM Inc Unknown device 0a40
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

lspci -n: 03:00.0 0200: 168c:0013 (rev 01)

Now I just need to find a way to manage multiple wpa encrypted connections easially.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com