[CentOS] Desktop cleared after reboot through VNC

Michael Velez mikev777 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 7 18:58:54 UTC 2006

> On Tuesday 07 November 2006 03:18, Michael Velez wrote:
> > I guess I corrupted the desktop when I rebooted through VNC
> but I don't know
> > how to get it back.
> >
> > Is there a way of retrieving this without having to delete
> this user and
> > creating a new one?
>
> Guessing sucks. Always try to figure out what's going on!
> Leaving this unknown
> can only lead to trouble down the road - it's always better
> to spend some
> time and find out whassup. You'll find out something bad has
> happened, or
> you'll learn how to better identify if something bad is
> happening later.
> Either way, you're ahead!
>
> Different WM have different locations for Desktop. KDE's
> desktop is usually in
> ~/Desktop. Check out that folder.
>
> If you really think corruption is in order, you might want to
> check your
> entire f/s with e2fsck:
>
> # shutdown -Fr now;
>
> Otherwise, you might have to recover from backups. (you DO
> have backups,
> right?)

Actually, when I meant I corrupted the desktop, I didn't mean at a disk
level.  I doubt e2fsck will fix this (although I'll run it anyway, you never
know).  The reboot was proper; however, it was done through VNC which seems
to have caused a different chain of events when closing the gnome-session.
This is what I'm trying to figure out.

As I mentioned in my previous e-mail all my *.desktop files are in my
~/Desktop directory.  They just do not appear on the desktop when I open my
gnome session.   The session starts everything else (start menus, taskbar,
startup applications - i.e. xclock) it's just my desktop that has become one
solid color (dark blue) with no icons.  I can log in fine with other
userid's and receive a good desktop, so this really has something to do with
my user profile.

At this point, I'm trying to figure out how a reboot through VNC could have
made my gnome-session close improperly.

I don't know enough about gnome-sessions to figure this out myself.  Is
there a file in the gnome profile that has desktop information (other than
~/Desktop)?

I've had to use VNC a lot lately so I have seen this once before.  I
couldn't figure it out and I just deleted the user, created a new one, and
re-installed user files from backup (which I have a wazoo of; I have more
automated backup than a home environment actually needs).  My next e2fsck
after that did not mention a corruption so it really has to be something in
my profile files.

Michael