[CentOS] Directory Server

Wed Nov 15 13:20:19 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 13:13 +0100, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> > Leonardo Vilela Pinheiro wrote:
> >> Did Red Hat release a stable (non-beta) and GPL version of Directory
> >> Server, or Fedora Directory Server is the only thing we have now?
> >>
> >> Can we have it on centosplus or extras?
> >
> > If the Java problem somehow can be met, I might take a look at it (or at
> > the src.rpms which RedHat provides). But those are only for 1.0.2 -
> > though I guess they should work with 1.0.4.
>
> Okay, the src.rpms are completely useless, building balks out at the
> earliest level. I have no idea in which environment those might work.
>
> The ds-build process works and throws out a perfectly installable rpm.
> It is even possible to build with java (so that you have the shiny
> console) and without java.
>
> But I don't really want to put out an rpm for something without being
> able to provide the src.rpms for it.
>
> Second thing is: The build process pulls in pretty many external
> dependencies. All of these should be checked for license issues (though
> I didn't see any real problems, but I only did a short check).
>
> Third: The Fedora Trademark probably has to be pulled out (meaning that
> graphical elements have to be replaced).
>
> I'd say that it's not really prime time for releasing Fedora Directory
> Server at the moment - Java and no working src.rpms being the issues
> where I see problems.
>
> Any other opinions on that?

I absolutely agree that it is not ready currently to release as a CentOS
product.  Especially since the Fedora version is free and works exactly
as advertised on CentOS if following their instructions to build.

What I would like to release is the RH Directory Services if/when they
release the code.

Is anyone noticing a pattern here (RH Directory Server, RHWAS, no source
code that works) :(