[CentOS] CentOS 4.4 and other software?

Fri Nov 3 12:10:57 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 07:03 -0500, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I just installed CentOS 4.4 on my laptop, having good experience with
> Debian, Fedora Core 5, and RHEL4.   I really like 4.4's overall appearance
> (meshing of RHEL4 and FC5), but what I have yet to figure out is how to
> access repositories for applications that are not part of the default
> install, such as ncftp.   I invoked and updated yum, but it had no idea.
>
> I would also like to see what all available kernel offerings are, and
> maybe various development tools (i.e. dependencies).
>
> Up2Date didn't seem much of a help, either.
>
> None of the above tools seemed to know anything about ncftp, and it has
> been around for at least 10 years, and is available for just about every
> distro, sometimes by default.

Try lftp instead. (it is the replacement in EL4)

> Am I missing something with available packages?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

How to manage software with yum is here:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/docs/html/yum/

and here:
http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum

Here is how to added both extra CentOS repos and 3rd party repos in
CentOS:
http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes