[CentOS] Calling All FS Fanatics

Steve Bergman sbergman at rueb.com
Tue Oct 3 20:55:08 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 16:36 -0400, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> Trust me, it wasn't for lack of trying.

Hmmm, sorry to hear that.

Have you posted this info to lkml?  Even if you don't get an answer, it
is something that should be reported.  Or perhaps it has already been
addressed.

I'm not necessarily recommending that you do this for production, but
have you tried a more recent kernel?  CentOS's 2.6.9 is sort of ancient.

Due to VM problems with the CentOS 4.4 kernel that I think were likely
VMWare related, I recently moved one of my servers to the 2.6.16.x
vanilla kernel that is supposed to have long term support now.

It was pretty easy and clean.

I downloaded the 2.6.16.29 source and the original FC5 kernel SRPM,
which used kernel 2.6.15.

Copy the proper config file from the configs directory into the
2.6.16.29 source tree.  Do a "make oldconfig".  And then "make", "make
modules install", "make install".

At the very least, you would find out if ext3 in the upcoming CentOS 5
might be likely to handle this better.

Best Of luck!

-Steve