[CentOS] Calling All FS Fanatics

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Tue Oct 3 20:36:45 UTC 2006

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 at 3:31pm, Steve Bergman wrote

> On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 22:13 +0200, Morten Torstensen wrote:
>
>> Bottom line is that I agree with Johnny... if you positively don't *need*
>> another filesystem, use ext3.
>>
> Plus, I have a notion that the "interaction between ext3 and 3ware
> raid5" referenced in the previous episode, might just have something to
> do with ext3's ordered data writes, which can be turned off.

Oh, I tested ext3 vs. 3ware RAID5 in *multitudes* of configurations -- all
3 different journaling configs, external journals, various size journals,
etc.  Nothing helped.  There's just some bad juju there.  On the same
hardware, XFS and even ext2 pulled far better than numbers than ext3.
Put the 3ware in RAID10 (or use md), though, and ext3 worked just fine
with it.

Trust me, it wasn't for lack of trying.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain