[CentOS] Calling All FS Fanatics

Steve Bergman sbergman at rueb.com
Tue Oct 3 20:31:33 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 22:13 +0200, Morten Torstensen wrote:

> Bottom line is that I agree with Johnny... if you positively don't *need*
> another filesystem, use ext3.

Plus, I have a notion that the "interaction between ext3 and 3ware
raid5" referenced in the previous episode, might just have something to
do with ext3's ordered data writes, which can be turned off.

I personally feel that ext3 is a much maligned filesystem.  Tragically,
it is maligned because the dev team and Redhat chose to do "the right
thing".

"The right thing" being that they set data=ordered as the default.
There is a significant, though *usually* not severe, performance
penalty.  But the data integrity guarantees are substantially better
than with most any other journalled FS.  Kudos to them.

That reminds me, someone mentioned that reiserfs v3 does not have an
ordered or full data journalling mode.  That is not correct.  I'm no
reiserfs fan, but I do know that those modes were quietly added to
reiserfs v3 a while back.  Namesys is usually a publicity hound deluxe,
but only for their current project; The old ones can rot.

So, relatively few people know about those additions to v3.

-Steve