[CentOS] Yum, duplicate packages, 4.3->4.4 upgrade.

Itay Furman itayf at nospammail.net
Tue Oct 10 04:32:32 UTC 2006

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006, Bart Schaefer wrote:

> Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 08:33:16 -0700
> From: Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Yum, duplicate packages, 4.3->4.4 upgrade.
>
> On 10/9/06, itayf at nospammail.net <itayf at nospammail.net> wrote:
>>
>> I am running a CentOS 4.3 machine.  I wish to move on to 4.4.
>> My problem is that I have some 60 duplicate packages listed
>> below.
>
> Some of those are supposed to be duplicated.  If you have an x86_64
> architecture, you get both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions of some
> packages.

How to identify pairs that were packaged together versus pairs
that were carelessly installed (by me) during different yum
updates?
Should version numbers match in the former?
Must I manually scan pkg-by-pkg documentation or 'rpm -ql'?

> See the thread "Yum upgrade to 4.4 problem" in the August 31 - early
> September time span in the CentOS list archives at
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/.

Yup - I spent 2-3 hours yestermorning reading _all_ the
4.4-upgrade-problems threads before posting to the list.  Saw the
scripts for removing duplicates.  However, I don't remember
seeing clearly a method for identifying packaged pairs from other
duplicates.

> In particular this:
>
>>   prompt> rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME}\n" | sort | uniq -d
>
> is the wrong "rpm" incantation to detect the real duplications on
> x86_64.  You need to
> include %{ARCH} in there somewhere.

Indeed, on a seperate run I appended the %{ARCH} format, and
that's how I could tell that the kernel and gpg packages are
version duplicates.

 	Thanks for the help.
 	Itay