[CentOS] Write performance with 3ware 9550

chrism at imntv.com chrism at imntv.com
Fri Oct 13 00:38:42 UTC 2006

Kirk Bocek wrote:
> I saw a definite improvement by turning off NCQ and setting StorSave
> to 'Balanced.' Are these 1.5GB/Sec or 3.0GB/Sec SATA drives? During my
> testing I changed from non-interleaved memory and 1.5GB to interleaved
> and 3.0GB. Made a big difference in bonnie++ results. Unfortunately, I
> can't say which was more important.
>
> If you have the patience, read through my recent (but lengthy) thread
> on the 3Ware 9550 titled "Calling All FS Fanatics." There's a lot of
> good info from many helpful people. I've only gotten full performance
> using JFS or XFS.

I'm doing this from memory as the machine is at another location now.  I
think I did this:

turned off ncq (per Josh's suggestion)
turned on write caching (it's on an oversized ups and the data isn't
critical)
set storsave to "performance"
changed the memory interleave (thanks to kirk's suggestion).  It was off
by default.
used parted to create gpt disklabel
set noatime and one other option that was suggested here for the RAID
partition
used mke2fs -j -b 4096 /dev/blah

That was it.

Also, I tried the same array as a RAID0 device on the same box and the
performance was approximately the same (maybe ever so slightly faster).

Cheers,