[CentOS] Best backup software for linux

Tue Oct 24 15:01:45 UTC 2006
Peter Crighton <centos at p-cright.demon.co.uk>

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:41:51 -0700, you wrote:

>We are running backup softwares for incrementals/differentials and full backups
>with variouse softwares currently using dirvish scripts + amanda .. what is
>everyones views on other opensourced backup software? is there anything better
>or other options we have missed?  We are looking at backula as an option? any
>thoughts?

I am looking for the answer to the same question. I have got amanda
going (but not used in anger - just doing my first Centos install for
my home server). Just today got amanda to write and restore some data.

So my requirements:

* cheap/free
* multiple backups per tape
* fully automated backup each day
* easy recovery (happy with either a Kdat type GUI or amanda type) -
needs to know which tape to recover the latest (or chosen) version.
* ideal for a home network (mixed Linux Windows)

The only thing I don't like about amanda (so far) is that it needs a
new tape each backup, mainly because I'd like it to be a completely
automatic backup, only requiring the tape to be changed when full (or
maybe each month).

I typically don't backup much data each day (because it's a home
network), so I'd like to be able to store multiple backups on each
tape. I have 20GB Travan tape drive, so that's enough for a complete
full backup and several incremental's.

I want something cheap (ideally free).

Looking at Kdat (but that doesn't seem to recognise my tape drive and
not sure it's automated) and tar (but that isn't going to keep track
of what's where if I need to do a recovery)

I've had a (brief look) at the Bacula website and it looks like that
will do what I would like - anything I've missed?
--

Peter Crighton