[CentOS] Best backup software for linux

Tue Oct 24 15:05:00 UTC 2006
Matt Hyclak <hyclak at math.ohiou.edu>

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 04:01:45PM +0100, Peter Crighton enlightened us:
> >We are running backup softwares for incrementals/differentials and full backups
> >with variouse softwares currently using dirvish scripts + amanda .. what is
> >everyones views on other opensourced backup software? is there anything better
> >or other options we have missed?  We are looking at backula as an option? any
> >thoughts?
>
> I am looking for the answer to the same question. I have got amanda
> going (but not used in anger - just doing my first Centos install for
> my home server). Just today got amanda to write and restore some data.
>
> So my requirements:
>
> * cheap/free
> * multiple backups per tape
> * fully automated backup each day
> * easy recovery (happy with either a Kdat type GUI or amanda type) -
> needs to know which tape to recover the latest (or chosen) version.
> * ideal for a home network (mixed Linux Windows)
>

> The only thing I don't like about amanda (so far) is that it needs a
> new tape each backup, mainly because I'd like it to be a completely
> automatic backup, only requiring the tape to be changed when full (or
> maybe each month).
>
> I typically don't backup much data each day (because it's a home
> network), so I'd like to be able to store multiple backups on each
> tape. I have 20GB Travan tape drive, so that's enough for a complete
> full backup and several incremental's.

If you have enough holding disk, just leave the tape out until you hit about
20GB worth of data. I do this here at work on a weekly basis - holding disk
is a pair of RAID 1 disks, then once a week I pop a tape in and it flushes
the entire week's worth of data.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak