[CentOS] Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350 card on CentOS 4.X?

Fri Oct 27 14:58:12 UTC 2006
Bill Church <Bill.Church at bsius.com>

The PVR-350 (ivtv) implementation is bleeding edge and has more of a place in Fedora Core, which oddly enough is where it works. If the client needs to use hardware that is not in the HCL ( https://hardware.redhat.com/hwcert/index.cgi is one site with such an ACL :) ) they need to understand that it has the potential to reduce the reliability of the system and support for such hardware is best effort.

I'd be more willing to setup a dedicated MytTV backend server for the PVR-350 using Fedora Core 5 (about as hard as adding a yum repo and typing 'yum install mythtv-suite' http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php). The front end could be installed on any CentOS box with out much trouble ('yum install mythtv-frontend'). Some of that can be adapted to CentOS.

Yes, you'll be maintaining two distributions, but the alternative is maintaining kernels and patches. That's up to you.
-Bill

----- Original Message -----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org on behalf of Steve Huff
Sent: Fri, 10/27/2006 10:10am
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350 card on CentOS 4.X?

On Oct 27, 2006, at 9:47 AM, Bisbal, Prentice wrote:

> you're a professional system admin, your job is to make things work. A
> few crashes here and there are better then employess who can't get the
> job done at all. If stability is the issue, using CentOS is much
> better

well, yes, unless the requirements of the job are such that "a few
crashes here and there"(!!) are unacceptable. :)

does anyone know if the centosplus kernel supports this particular TV
card?  if not, you might want to request its inclusion; that might
provide you with a somewhat less painful solution than maintaining
your own custom kernel.

-steve

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v