[CentOS] Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350 card on CentOS 4.X?

Fri Oct 27 16:08:21 UTC 2006
Andreas Micklei <andreas.micklei at ivistar.de>

Am Freitag, 27. Oktober 2006 17:51 schrieb Alfred von Campe:
> Thanks for all the responses.  After reading them all, I will try out
> the CentOSPlus kernel first.  If that doesn't work, then I will
> probably install FC6 on one or maybe even all of the developer's
> desktops (well, the ones that are working with video anyway).  We are
> not going to use MythTV itself (we might paly with it, though), but
> write our own software to do stuff with the video stream (I'm not a
> developer, so I don't know all the details yet).

Just to add my 2 Eurocents:

We are running CentOS here on the server and Fedora Core on the Desktops for
software development. It's actually not a bad combination. Fedora Core is
generally a great distribution. It is kind of a moving target with all the
updates that are flowing in constantly. Sometimes you have to play around
with the settings on your desktop, because application XY was upgraded to a
newer version that behaves slightly different. However the underlying system
itself is generally rock stable.

I generally would not recommend Fedora on a server. But for a developer
workstation always having the bleeding edge stuff can even be an advantage.
Expecially when it comes to multimedia.

regards,
Andreas Micklei

P.s. I also had Fedora on some of our servers. Also works nice, but keeping
them up to date can be really tiresome. CentOS makes life so much easier in
this case. :-)