[CentOS] spam control

Mon Oct 30 13:27:18 UTC 2006
Bill Church <Bill.Church at bsius.com>

Mark Weaver wrote:
> Bill Church wrote:
> > If you have the luxury of blocking IPs based on countries or regions,
> > that helps as well but not everyone can do this.
> >
> > -Bill
>
> ... And personally I don't consider blocking on countries or regions
> is a luxury, but rather a necessity. Anyone can do it and should of
> they're running a mail server that is accepting direct SMTP
> connections.

I mean a luxury as in if you are so fortunate to only receive mail from a few regions or so. We have a fairly large customer who is an electronics manufacturer, their suppliers and customers are all over the globe, unfortunately we can't use this strategy for them.

We have a few financial customers, however, where their customers are only in the US. They block access to all of their resources geographically, this seems to work very well for them for spam and attacks.

Very nice work Mark. How do your logs look with all of those log statements?

-Bill