[CentOS] spam control (by the way)

Mon Oct 30 16:12:51 UTC 2006
Mark Weaver <mdw1982 at mdw1982.com>

On Mon, October 30, 2006 9:05 am, Bill Church wrote:
> Mark Weaver wrote:
>> Gavin Carr wrote:
>> > There are also a bunch of CPAN perl modules that can be used for this
>> > e.g. Geo::IP, Geo::IP2Location, Geo::IPfree, etc.
>> Hi Garvin,
>>
>> Those are pretty cool... thanks for the heads up I was unaware of them,
>> but they appear to be specifically for gathering geographical data which
>> web master would use and have nothing to do with geo-blocking of spam.
>
> The idea is, the lookup is fairly well debugged and automated through
> those models, just need some glue to built iptables rules for, especially
> Geo::IPfree. I would imagine you could do something like this to block all
> IPs that aren't US or something to that effect:
>
> getcountry.pl:
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> use Geo::IPfree;
> my $new_ip = $ARGV[0] ;
> print "$new_ip\r\n" ;
> my ($country,$country_name,$ip) = Geo::IPfree::LookUp($new_ip) ;
> print "$country_name\r\n" ;
> if ($country eq "US") {
>         print "US IP!\r\n" ;
> } else {
>         print "Not US IP!\r\n" ;
> }
>
> You can just run something like "getcountry.pl 212.5.80.0" (Kaspersky
> Labs, Russia) which should tell you that it's not a US IP. You could add
> this as another layer or use it for additional scoring. Obviously you
> would want to check the variables and all that good security stuff, this
> is a just a proof of concept.

makes good sense! I will have to get busy and see about incorporating this
into the existing program. sure would clean things up more and make it
more managable.

many thanks,

--
Mark

If you've found a wise man then you've found a man that was at one time an
idiot and lived long enough to learn from his mistakes.