[CentOS] Postfix won't relay after update to CentOS 4.4

Max H. btmanmeh at verizon.net
Fri Sep 1 04:46:23 UTC 2006

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> My CentOS 4.4 mail server is having problems sending mail after updating
> it to 4.4  Before the update, I did not have any problems.
>
> My ISP requires that email clients must authenticate to their mail
> servers before mail can be sent out.  I setup smtp auth to get postfix
> to relay mail through the ISP's mail servers.  Here's my config:
>
> main.cf
> --------
> relayhost = [smtp.broadband.rogers.com]
> smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
> smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
> smtp_sasl_security_options =
>
> sasl_passwd

It's late and I've had a long day, so forgive me if I overlooked this
from someone else mentioning it. Have you checked the permissions on the
sasl_passwd and sasl_passwd.db file?

When I updated today, one machine stopped working sending mail, and the
other one was fine. For me, I found the relayhost commented out, and I
have no idea why. On the working machine, everything was fine.

Given the strange happenings of updating today, I'd check the
permissions on the sasl_passwd files. They should be 600. If that
doesn't work, did you simply try to regenerate the sasl_passwd.db file
after the permission is correct?

postmap hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd

The last update from 4.2 -> 4.3 made my relaying stop working, and all I
had to do was regenerate the password file and life was good again.
Whatcha think?

Max