[CentOS] 4.4 upgrade problems

Tue Sep 5 15:45:41 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 11:32 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 September 2006 08:46, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > OK ... there has been an awful lot of attributing problems to the 4.4
> > upgrade that are not really upgrade problems.
>
> > The best I can tell there is really only one major problem:
>
> > 1.  You need to install python-sqlite before sqlite (or at nearly the
> > same time).
>
> I would consider http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=1483 to not be minor.  I
> looked over Red Hat's Bugzilla and didn't, in the few minutes I skimmed, see
> the same issue in upstream.  It could be related to yum's means of doing the
> package update versus up2date's method; on a production DNS box I had the
> problem mentioned in this bug, but on a machine that wasn't the production
> name server I didn't.
>
> I reproduced the issue using the proper yum sequence, updating python-sqlite,
> then sqlite, the updating yum, then doing a clean all, and had the problem.

In the original case, we have tracked the problem to the sqlite update
issue.

In your case, it seems to be something else.

In the original case, the issue was caused due to a mismatch in named
libs to the named binaries ... (as the update died in the middle).

In your case, I'm not sure what caused the issue.

If you send me an "rpm -qa" of the server in question, I will make a
test machine that matches it as closely as I can and update it several
times and see if I can duplicate the error.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes