[CentOS] remote file access,

Steve Huff shuff at vecna.org
Wed Sep 6 15:17:47 UTC 2006

On Sep 6, 2006, at 10:49 AM, kai wrote:

> Thanks for the answers, I agree that imap may be right, but my dns
> supplier has a quota at 40MB. I like to keep my mails, additional
> to my privat I am following several mailing list, separated, so the
> quota is way to small.
> I feel like the best for me is to move my domain here, setting up
> my own server. I have been using djbdn and qmail earlier, but would
> like to change to something more standard, I should manage though,
> but I am a little afraid of the work load setting things up.
>
> So my question at the moment boils down to, witch supplier of
> dynamic dns service to use, that also mx forward without to many
> restrictions.

I've had very good experiences with ZoneEdit (http://
www.zoneedit.com/).  They give you up to 5 domains at no charge with
a reasonable array of services, their web interface is simple and
straightforward, and I haven't been unable to do something DNS-
related that I wanted to do.  Their DDNS update mechanism can be
implemented with a one-line invocation of wget, suitable for running
via cron; no special client is necessary.

I would also recommend looking into Rollernet (http://rollernet.us/)
for secondary DNS and secondary MX service.  They also provide a
reasonable range of service at no charge (though, as with ZoneEdit,
you need to pay for some of the advanced functionality).  It's a
great relief to know that if I have to take my mail server down for
maintenance I won't miss any mail.

Finally, if you want to run your own server, I recommend the Qmail
Toaster (http://www.qmailtoaster.com/).  It's a turnkey solution that
runs perfectly on CentOS and provides far more capabilities than the
stock packages do.

-steve

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v