[CentOS] yum vs up2date

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Sep 7 03:18:00 UTC 2006

Paul wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 10:35 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
>
>>Paul wrote:
>>
>>>FC5 broken?
>>>Funny I use it every day as a desktop.
>>
>>I run twelve virtual consoles, and often work through ssh even when in
>>the same room.
>>
>>I want mount points created when I plug in a USB disk. I don't want it
>>mounted, and I especially don't want it open on the desktop (which I
>>might not be looking at).
>
> <SNIP>
>
>>It's worse for optical media (but SUSE has that wrong too). on Windows,
>>a CD or DVD is always d: or e: or whatever for that particular
>>configuration. Until recently, on Linux it was always /cdrom (Debian) or
>>/mnt/cdrom (RHL) or similar, then /media/cdrom. Now it's
>>/media/<columelabel>.
>>
>>I don't see any way that's better than /media/cdrom, or what the mount
>>point's got to do wuth the representation on the user's desktop.
>

> OK I see where your coming from, though I would not say it's "broken",
> it is a change of behavior from what went before.  I think FC3 had that
> behavior also and I expect RHEL5 will probably also have it.  It was a
> design decision to reflect what new desktop users coming from
> Windows/Mac would expect.

I use Windows and Macs too. What matters to the desktop user is the
desktop label, not where the thing's mounted. Mostly, I use those
because I'm paid to; I think Apple's got it wrong too, but I'd rather
use Linux.

FC3 could be twisted into shape, I did so. It (like Centos4) creates the
mount point; FC5 does not. On CentOS4 I have to use sudo (because I'm
not local), but at least the mount point's consistent.

I just read on another list that .{gov,mil} sites are forbidden to run X
unless they're serving X. I don't see why, turning off desktops on
Windows and Macs isn't trivial, but if that's right perhaps my problem
will be fixed.

> It would be nice if it could be configured to act differently, there may
> be a way to configure it to do what you expect.

Yeah, edit d-bus rules. I'm not sure I want to be non-standard, better
to find a standard that works for me, not against me.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait