[CentOS] yum vs up2date

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 15:30:38 UTC 2006

On 9/7/06, John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Jim Perrin wrote:
> >> Does this mean you don't wish to create a workable mirror system?
> >
> >
> > Just because it doesn't fit into how you think it should work doesn't
> > mean it's not workable. Stop trolling.
> >
> I'm not trolling, I pointed out a serious problem with it and suggest
> how it could be improved.

The above comment I references is a passive-aggressive troll. If you
do not wish it to be identified as such, then don't phrase it that
way. There are a hundred different ways to get your point across
without resorting to such things. Same thing for you comment about the
naming scheme for centos[a-z] machines. Just because you don't know
the meaning behind it doesn't mean there isn't one. If you wish people
to be more receptive to your ideas, it's best not to antagonize them.
The whole bees with honey vs vinegar bit.

> I repeat, mirrors in Europe & the US are not local to Western Australia,
> and while Singapore is relatively close, still data crosses national
> boundaries; while I don't understand the implications of that, I am sure
> it doesn't have the same costs & rules that data-flows within Austealia
> have.

The mirrorlist script fills in 10 mirrors. If western Australia
doesn't have 10 current repositories, then others get filled in. If
you want more local mirrors listed, then get more people from western
australia to contribute mirrors,and let us know that the mirrors are
publicly available.

> The fact that users get their data doesn't mean the mirror system is
> working well from their perspectice.
> I also made the point that speed measurements from users' machines don't
> mean much in terms of the distance, or of the performance of the
> download over time. Since I wrote, a download that I started this
> morning at 100 KBytes/sec has since slowed to 12 Kbytes/sec or so.

The mirror system is a general shotgun approach to getting the best
service to users. It works well for most of the million+ users as 99%
of the feedback about it has been positive.  There's no law that says
you have to use the default file. If it doesn't work for you, then
change the repo file to point to a mirror of your choosing and quit
bitching about it.

> I've just done a quick check, there is actually a Centos mirror here in
> Perth: it's on WAIX, but you don't list it. it's even got 4.4 in it. Not
> only, but including:
> lftp ftp.iinet.net.au:/pub/centos/4.4> dir os/s390x/
> ---> PASV

> I think it's also accessible by rsync (I've been getting some Debian
> from there by rsync) and http.

So comment out the mirrorlist and change the baseurl line to point to
this mirror. Presto, you're now using a mirror local to you.

We're so far off the original post topic now it's not even funny.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
George Orwell

More information about the CentOS mailing list