[CentOS] Re: yum vs up2date

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Sep 7 21:10:36 UTC 2006

John Summerfield spake the following on 9/7/2006 8:32 AM:
> chrism at imntv.com wrote:
>> John Summerfield wrote:
>>

>> Who cares?  When I think of "local" in terms of an update mirror, all
>> I care about is latency (less so) and bandwidth (more so)...the fact
>> that a particular host is located in Perth or Ulan Bator or Los
>> Angeles really isn't important to me.  Getting the bits from point A
>> to point B in the quickest and most reliable fashion IS important.  I
>> don't understand why you're so hung up on server location as physical
>> geography is becoming less and less relevant as the world becomes more
>> and more wired.
>
> If you read my earlier posts, you might have noticed terms like
> "download limits."
>
> Most users don't have "all you can eat" plans, and if they exceed their
> quota they can be charged extra ($60-120 per gigabyte) or br throttled
> back to modemesque speeds.
>
> Okay, the minimum charge gor overuns seems to have come down since last
> I looked (I can't have ADSL here), but the top charge is pretty steep.
> See here for a sample of what people in other places have:
>
> http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc-plan.cfm?state=wa&class=0&type=res&cost=50&pre=3000&conntype=1&conntype=4&conntype=5&speed=512&upspeed=0&contract=99&needhw=yes&upfront=999999
>

> "shaped" means "throttled back severely."
>
> This rabbit looks like a wounded bull!!
> http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/isp.cfm/Rabbit-Net-ADSL/678-1.html?p=7610
>
> That is why geographic locality is important. And it's not just so for
> Western Australian, similar rules apply in at least some European
> countries.
>
> I'm downloading at work (adsl there); while the boss knows, he will not
> be happy if he gets a Big Bill, or if the school gets "shaped."

It seems that the only mirror that would benefit you would be if your neighbor
has a copy of what you want and a CD burner.
I can understand the costs associated with quotas, but does the ISP care where
you get the data?
It seems as if 100GB from the US would cost just as much as 100 GB from Perth.
It still crosses your "last mile".

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and