[CentOS] Safely updating to 4.4 via yum (chicken)

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 17:51:25 UTC 2006

On 9/24/06, techlist <techlist06 at msws.org> wrote:

> Can someone tell the what the concensous was on the best way to do the
> upgrade and avoid problems.  From my notes I got:
>
> yum upgrade python-sqlite
> yum upgrade sqllite
> yum upgrade yum
> yum clean all
> yum update

I just went through exactly that series and got the futex hang in
cleanup anyway.  On the other hand, on a different machine (used by
only one person and not a server, so less important) I simply did "yum
upgrade" and had no trouble.

The other suggestion that's been on the list that I *didn't* try
(because I wanted to avoid multiple reboots) was:

rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*
shutdown -r now
yum upgrade python-sqlite sqlite yum
yum clean all
yum upgrade
shutdown -r now

To recover from the futex hang on my first pass, I did

rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME}*.%{arch}.rpm\n" | sort | uniq -d | fgrep -v gpgkey |
   xargs -i find /var/cache/yum -name {} | sort -u > /tmp/reinstall

This produces a list of the packages that failed to clean up properly.
 Edit /tmp/reinstall for sanity, then run

rpm -Uvh --force `cat /tmp/reinstall`

Then run "updatedb" and do a "locate" on rpmnew and rpmsave to look
for files that may need manual attention.  (William Maltby's
suggestion.)